Tuesday 6 April 2010

Thinking out loud.


I can be a bit indecisive. Two weeks out of college for Easter at a fairly vital point in my project is not ideal, as I don't have tutors and friends to bounce ideas off of. So I'm going to do a bit of thinking out loud here, and if you have any thoughts or suggestions that might help me make my mind up, they'd be very welcome!


Right. My mythology project. Six weeks remain to put together a final piece to exhibit in the graduate shows. I've been re-assessing all the pieces I've worked on in the project so far, and have decided there's two possible routes to go down.

1. Mythology and Science. Remember I did those It's Ok posters? Well I think there's some potential in the idea that mythology was used to explain the forces of nature when there was no science to turn to. So I'm thinking of maybe making a publication - "The Mythological Guide to Nature". It could then be turned up the other way (or maybe just a separate book), and you've got "The Scientific Guide to Nature". One presents the gods and goddesses in some way, whilst the other presents the science with the complex diagrams etc.


2. Preserving Mythology. You know how I archived the contents of Pandora's Box in an old frame? Well, I thought I could combine that idea with the empty jars concept, and have a series of empty frames. I'd make a book to go with it (like an exhibition catalogue), explaining what is supposedly in the frames (e.g Nemesis' wheel of fortune, or the discus that killed Hyacinthus). But the frames are empty to highlight the fact that mythology is not tangible, myths are just made up stories, yet we still try to preserve them.



Rambling over.
I might just try out both options, anyway...

4 comments:

SUSAN MURPHY said...

Really intriguing concept you have here, definitely something I'd love to know more about :)

Straight off I think your first idea is by far the strongest! It has plenty of scope which you can play with in terms of how you use your content (include infographics? illustrations? typography?). Plus there seems to be more spin offs that you can do with this, from simple posters to incorporating your exhibition idea.

I do like your second idea but I think the first is a bit more meaty, you can always somehow include your second idea in the first.

Of course this is only my little opinion, keep us updated on how it turns out :)

Lucy Player said...

Your 'little opinion' is much appreciated, thank you! And I think you're right - I was mulling it over yesterday and I think the frames idea might be a bit restricted by how much space I have in the exhibitions, and I don't think I can really drag it out over the next 6 weeks, either!

I'm going to start putting some ideas together for the science book today - just need to figure out what kind of imagery to include, etc! Time to get stuck in...

Thanks Sue!

Yviemarie said...

I'm loving following your Mythology series of works! As a student, I would spend more time looking at the pieces from your first idea over the second, purely as a personal preference...I like to look at things! lol :)

Lucy Player said...

Cheers Yvie, think there's definitely more to work with in the first. Going to get stuck in today and hopefully make some progress to update about soon!